Who Should Apply

We welcome individuals with a bachelor's or higher degree that wish to go into public health academia and/or become a public health officer at international organizations such as WHO or UNICEF. Since all courses will be held in English, all ESL applicants will be required to submit an official score report from either Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT) with a minimum score of 80 or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.5.

Enrollment schedule

Spring admission

  • Online Application Period: October 6, 2023, 10:00 a.m. - October 20, 2023, 3:00 p.m.
    Documents Submission Period: October 6, 2023 - October 27, 2023, 5:00 p.m.
  • November 27, 2023, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.(JST)
    Interview(in Person or via ZOOM)
  • December 22, 2023
    Announcement of Successful Applicants
  • April, 2024

Autumn admission

  • Online Application Period: April 1, 2024, 10:00 a.m. - April 15, 2024, 3:00 p.m.
    Documents Submission Period: April 1, 2024 - April 22, 2024, 5:00 p.m.
  • May 21, 2024, 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.(JST)
    Interview(in Person or via ZOOM)
  • June 21, 2024
    Announcement of Successful Applicants
  • October, 2024

Enrollment application

For more information regarding terms for application, please download following files.

Enrollment application

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Admissions

Q.Does TMDU offer financial aid?
We offer tuition fee exemption to both local and international students based on their academic performance and financial status. You can apply to the waiver program after the school year begins but still need to cover the entrance examination fees, enrollment fees, first half year's tuition, and daily living expenses. You are also encouraged to apply for private and government scholarships.
Q.What types of housing available at TMDU?
TMDU has several types of housing available: International House, International Student House, student dormitories, as well as housing arranged by the Japan Student Services Organization, JASSO (5,900-48,000 yen/month*). Private accommodations such as apartments are also possible near campus.
Q.Are online learning programs offered?
In general, the Master of Public Health in Global Health (MPH) Course is a classroom course requiring in-person participation. However, TMDU offers an e-learning study option (i.e., learning from video-recoded lectures, which requires completion of assignment for each course and three days of schooling at TMDU in summer) for students under exceptional circumstances*. *Exceptional circumstance is defined as "living in a remote area and having difficulty to attend classes or being a full-time employee." In order to prove that your condition meets the exceptional circumstance, please submit "Certificate of Employment (including job description)" (for a full-time employee) and a letter of permission from your MPH course supervisor.

Important notice regarding E-learning option(PDF)
Q.Can I take the e-learing option even though I live in remote area from TMDU?
As mentioned above, the e-learning option is provided for students who live in remote areas (with place restrictions) or who are working full-time (with time restrictions).
Q.Can I complete the MPH course all in English?
Yes, the MPH course will be held in English. However, knowing some Japanese will help in your daily life and TMDU offers free Japanese classes to students who are interested.
Q.Am I able to conduct clinical research (research targeting patients)?
Yes, it is possible. Please consult the relevant TMDU-MPH course faculty member.
Q.Should I have health-related work experiences to be accepted as a student?
Health-related work experience is not an essential criteria to apply for the MPH course.
Q.Can I change my academic advisor after enrollment?
Yes, you can change after entering the MPH course.
Q.How much do I need to live in Tokyo during the course?
According to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, the estimated living cost for a single person in Tokyo is ?144,000 per month (As of 2019).
Q.Is the MPH course qualification registered to any affiliated international organisation?
QS ranking showed that TMDU is top 100 in the world in the field of medicine and health.
Q.Can I apply for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships or other scholarships for an international student?
Q.About the Harvard/Johns Hopkins Lecture Series (HJLS) – Do I have to pay any additional fees to enroll to the lecture series?
No, you don't need to pay for this.
Q.Can the post graduates get an opportunity to visit Harvard and John Hopkins University for internship?
You have the possibility to get the chance. It is up to you.
Q. Can I have an opportunity to intern at WHO, and how many students actually get to go and what is the criteria for selection?
Any students can apply for the intern opportunity for WHO or other international agency.
Q. Are there any Public Health internship options in Tokyo/Japan open for international students that can be done alongside the program?
Yes, for that, you need to be able to speak Japanese.

More information

  • About Curriculum
    & E-learning

    JD & MPH Unit,
    Educational Planning Section,

    Institute of Education


  • About VISA, Scholarship

    International Student Support Unit (ISSU), International Exchange Section,

    Institute of Global Affairs


  • About Applications
    & Admission

    Graduate School Admission Team, Admission Section,

    Institute of Education